10.24.2009

What to do...

I have reached a crossroad that simply has two options,
  1. Stay on course with the Management program and I should finish the degree May 2011.
  2. Change majors to Construction Management and it will take me roughly three years, finishing December 2012.
The main reason for it being a struggle is Management has become a redundant topic for me.  I doubt I would learn much from the course material.  Where I would gain would be during discussion and that can happen outside of a classroom.

On the other hand, Construction Management is a more technical based including surveying, materials, cost estimating, physics, codes, permits, etc.  This could build upon my training next fall with the ANG that is carpentry 101.

I define myself as a professional student.  It's unfortunate that I have remained in college for nine years now.  At times I wonder if I have intentionally setting myself up for this situation.  After completing my associate's in Human Resource Management from Gaston College, I moved to Chicago and began class with the sole purpose of being accepted to UIC.  I attended College of DuPage and Harold Washington College.

Finally accepted at UIC, I completed three semesters then an opportunity to return to Charlotte came up.  Last step in the puzzle is beginning at UNCC requiring even more courses to enter the Management program.  After this fall semester, I should have the credits necessary to enter the Belk College.

Walking away with a degree in Construction Management will provide me more tools with what we plan to do in the future.  Management will simply provide me with a degree and relief that it has finally been achieved.  Is it worth graduating and moving on, or should I take the dive and change direction.

An important note to make, if a class is failed or missed because of time conflicts or course load limitations, you will end up waiting another year to attend.  The course planning is very rigid and leaves little room for error.

Other options could be to complete the Management bachelor's and then attend CPCC for their Construction Management or Civil Engineering Technology.  The adviser I spoke with today said their CM program was more trade oriented while the CET program was technical oriented providing the structure needed to transfer to UNCC and complete the Construction Management degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment